World Première of Peter Maxwell Davies & David Pountney’s new opera
- Royal Academy Opera
- Royal Academy of Music Sinfonia
- Jane Glover (conductor)
- David Pountney (director)
- Robert Innes Hopkins (designer)
- Carolyn Choa (choreographer)
- Elizabeth Burgess (chorusmaster)
- Marcus Farnsworth (James Meredith)
- Aoife Miskelly (Sophie)
- John Herford (Hans)
- Frederick Long (Willi)
- Andrew Dickinson (Christoph)
- Katie Bray (Wu)
- Belinda Williams (Li / Officer)
- Ruth Jenkins (Zhou)
- Laura Kelly (Doctor / Officer)
- Irina Gheorgiu (Clerk / Prison Guard / Officer / Mother)
- Jonathan McGovern (Voice / Clerk 2 / Wu Tianshi / Janitor)
- John-Owen Miley-Read (Alexander / Grand Inquisitor / Gestapo Officer)
- Maxwell Davies: Kommilitonen!
Royal Academy Opera presents the world première of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies’s opera Kommilitonen! (‘Young Blood!’), co-commissioned with The Juilliard School, who will present the opera in Autumn 2011 in New York.
The new opera is based on a libretto by David Pountney. The title Kommilitonen! means ‘fellow students’; and the opera consists of three interlocking stories of students involved in political action. One follows the activities of the group known as Die Weisse Rose at the University of Munich in the 1940s, who produced leaflets protesting against the Nationalist Socialist government until they were arrested and executed. The second follows two young people involved in the Cultural Revolution in China, in which they found themselves on opposite sides. The third is the story of James Meredith, who battled against racial prejudice to become the first black student to enrol at the University of Mississippi. The three stories unfold in parallel and eventually come together, in a climax of devastating emotional impact.